The process of recruiting moderators, speakers and responders for each session of the 69th Plenary Meeting of the ICAC is nearly complete and The U.S. Government has chosen Eddie Smith, Chairman of the National Cotton Council of America, to serve as Chair of the Plenary Meeting.
Other speakers during the Inaugural Session will include James Miller, Under Secretary for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services, USDA; Mr. Steve Verett, Executive Vice President, Plains Cotton Growers, Inc.; H.E. Ambassador Ali Mchumo, Managing Director of the Common Fund for Commodities; and Mr. Azmat Ali Ranjha, Minister of Trade, Embassy of Pakistan.
Topics of discussion during the plenary meeting will include:
- Resource Constraints and Cotton Production: Sustaining Cotton’s Place in the World Market
- New Developments in Cotton Technologies
- The Impacts of Social and Environmental Standards on Demand for Cotton and Textiles
- The Outlook for Prices of Cotton and Competing Commodities
- Past Trade Rounds in the Multilateral Trading System: Are Their Lessons for the Doha Round?
- Improving Industry Efficiency in Storage, Transportation and Handling
- Demand Enhancement: Building on Successful Efforts
- Technical Seminar: “How to Lower the Cost of Cotton Production”
- Cotton Price Risk Management in the Post Recession Age
- Best Practices in Cotton Ginning
- Best Practices in Instrument Testing
- Progress Toward Industry Harmonization and Standardization: Instrument Testing, Trade Rules and Pyhtosanitary Rules
Information about the Plenary Meeting, including registration and hotel reservations, are available on the ICAC web site, http://www.icac.org.