LUBBOCK, Texas. Cotton experts from the Texas Cooperative Extension and Texas Agricultural Experiment Station are pulling together a series of Crop Production Guides available to cotton producers through the Lubbock Texas A&M Research and Extension Center’s Web site.
The series, which is composed of both previously released information on specific management topics as well as all-new publications, is designed to provide producers the latest information regarding cotton production issues. According to TCE cotton specialist Randy Boman, the effort will eventually provide a complete set of management guides a producer can access through the Internet or on a compact disk that can be opened on a personal computer.
He explains that by putting the different publications together and making them easily accessible they become an even more valuable resource for cotton producers.
The impetus for the Crop Production Guide series is the Focus newsletter put out by editor James Leser at the Lubbock Center.
“The newsletter has become a valuable tool for producers over the years. It has grown to address more than just insect related issues important to cotton producers,” says Leser. “The Crop Production Guide series was developed to provide a more manageable information resource they can use to gather pertinent crop production information.”
Beginning this year Focus contributors will no longer try to include every bit of information available on a topic in the newsletter. Instead, links will be provided within the newsletter to these more detailed production guides, which can better meet producer needs. To download a copy of individual Crop Production Guides go to the Lubbock Center’s Web site (http://lubbock.tamu.edu/focus).
The following guides, with their release dates and authors, are currently available for download:
• Cotton Fleahopper Management Tips, Dr. Jim Leser, June 16, 2004
• Early Post-emergence Weed Control Options, Dr. Peter Dotray, May 27, 2004
• Benefits of a Pre-emergence Herbicide Program, Dr. Peter Dotray, May 25, 2004
• Successful Weed Management Systems Include the Use of Dinitroaniline Herbicides, Dr. Peter Dotray, May 14, 2004
• General Keys for Successful Weed Management in Field Crops, Dr. Peter Dotray, May 6, 2004
• Thrips Control Critical for Irrigated Cotton, Dr. Jim Leser, April 12, 2004
• Pink Bollworm Management Tips II, Mapping Potential Problem Fields, Dr. Jim Leser, March 23, 2004
• Pink Bollworm Management Tips I, Dr. Jim Leser, March 10, 2004
• 2003 Grain Sorghum Hybrid Suggestions, Dr. Calvin Trostle, April 22, 2003
• Pre-plant Irrigation Management, Dr. Dana Porter, April 11, 2003
• 2003 Cotton Variety Selection Considerations, Dr. Randy Boman, March 28, 2003
• Time to check for Yield-robbing Nematodes, Dr. Terry Wheeler, Nov. 14, 2002