- Coastal Texas harvest update.
- Grain sorghum harvest is underway in south Texas.
- Rainfall has been variable across region.
Clyde Crumley, EA-IPM in the Mid-Coast region, reports Gulf disturbances last week brought varying results of rainfall across the region, from as little as two-tenths of an inch to over two inches, delaying harvest efforts for corn, grain sorghum and cotton.
“We are seeing a little seed sprouting in the sorghum heads and some minor lodging in corn. Approximately 80 percent of the cotton grown here is at cutout and the remaining 20 percent is at mid-bloom, so the next hurdle for the more mature portion of the crop will be protecting the bolls from insect damage,” reported Crumley in his weekly Upper Coast Crop Improvement Newsletter.
Crumley reports treatable levels of stink bugs in numerous fields, especially those located adjacent to corn and/or sorghum fields. He says with an average of one or more stink bugs per 6 feet of row feeding can cause excessive loss of squares and small bolls and may stain lint. Crops should be out of stink bug danger once the bolls reach 450 heat units past cutout.
Of equal concern across the region are Verde Bugs, with treatable levels evident in the Tin Top and Palacios area of Matagorda County. Crumleyadvises sampling for the pests before determining treatment options.
Cotton bollworms are another pest problem reported across the region.
“Be on the lookout at this time for bollworms. Egg lays are variable across the area with some program fields in many areas having up to 14 percent. Damaged squares and bolls were between 3 percent and16 percent and small worms (1percent to 14 percent) as well as medium to large worms (0 percent to 6 percent) are being detected in program fields,” Crumley reports.
Other pest problems include fall armyworms which are being widely reported in many fields.