What is in this article?:
- Distillers grain, ethanol linked
- Key statistics
- Ethanol market expansion linked to distiller’s grain
- Expanded trade needed
- Washington issues pending
Key distillers grains statistics:
• In the 2010/11 marketing year, the U.S. dry mill ethanol industry is projected to produce 33.5 million metric tons (mmt) of distiller’s grains (including both wet and dried). Additionally, ethanol wet mills will produce approximately 3 mmt of corn gluten feed and 500,000 mt of corn gluten meal.
• Value: The 33.5 mmt of DG produced in 2010/11 is valued at approximately $4.5 billion. Corn gluten feed and meal output is valued at about $550 million.
• In 2010/11, it is projected that approximately 24.5 mmt will be consumed domestically. The remaining 9 mmt will be exported to countries around the world. As such, about 27 percent of U.S. DDG will be exported this year.
• In 2009, approximately 39 percent of DG was consumed by dairy cattle, 38 percent was consumed by beef, 15 percent consumed by swine, 7 percent by poultry, and 1 percent by other species (sheep, aquaculture).