What is in this article?:
- Peanut Caucus to give industry a voice in Congress
- Appreciation from industry
- The group of 17 lawmakers representing states with significant peanut farming and production will work together to ensure that peanut interests have a strong voice in Congress, and that peanut issues are taken into account in agricultural legislation.
U.S. Representatives Martha Roby (R-Ala.) and Sanford D. Bishop, Jr. (D-Ga.) have announced the re-formation of the Congressional Peanut Caucus for the 113th Congress.
The group of 17 lawmakers representing states with significant peanut farming and production will work together to ensure that peanut interests have a strong voice in Congress, and that peanut issues are taken into account in agricultural legislation.
Reps. Roby and Bishop will again co-chair the group. "We saw last Congress what a difference it makes when Members from peanut-producing states team up to ensure our interests are considered on equal footing in agriculture legislation," Rep. Roby said.
"As Congress considers the next farm bill, the Congressional Peanut Caucus will be back as strong as ever helping to facilitate communication and cooperation among Members from states with peanut interests. I look forward to working with my friend, Rep. Sanford Bishop and all our Caucus Members as we try to ensure a level playing field for our peanut producers."
"I have had the distinct honor of being known as the 'Peanut Congressman,' a title I wear with great pride and take very seriously," said Congressman Bishop.
"The 113th Congress will be presented with numerous new challenges for America's agriculture. As the peanut industry is crucial to the health and well-being of the rural South's economy, I and the rest of the Congressional Peanut Caucus are committed to ensuring its success for the future."
Members of the Congressional Peanut Caucus are:
• Rep. Martha Roby (R-Ala.) co-chair
• Rep. Sanford D. Bishop, Jr. (D-Ga.) co-chair
• Rep. John Barrow (D-Ga.)
• Rep. Jo Bonner (R-Ala.)
• Rep. George K. Butterfield (D-N.C.)
• Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.)
• Rep. Michael Conaway (R-Texas)
• Rep. Rick Crawford (R-Ark.)
• Rep. Randy Forbes (R-Va.)
• Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.)
• Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.)
• Rep. Mike McIntyre (D-N.C.)
• Rep. Alan Nunnelee (R-Miss.)
• Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.)
•Rep. Terri Sewell (D-Ala.)
• Rep. Steve Southerland (R-Fla.)
• Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.)