Chairmen of the House Agriculture Committee and also released the complete Republican roster for the 112th Congress. Additionally, Rep. Lucas announced that Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia will serve as Vice Chairman of the full committee.
"Our Subcommittee Chairmen have demonstrated a commitment to ensuring the success of American agriculture and rural economies. They are ready to join me in addressing the challenges that farmers, ranchers, and small businesses face across rural America. The next year will be an exercise in educating our freshmen members on both sides of the aisle, providing oversight of the administration, and building a strong working relationship as we prepare to reauthorize the farm bill in 2012," said Lucas.
Lucas designated the following Subcommittee Chairmen and their jurisdictions (listed alphabetically by subcommittee name):
• Rep. Glenn “GT” Thompson (PA-5): Conservation, Energy, and Forestry
Jurisdiction: Soil, water, and resource conservation, small watershed program, energy and bio-based energy production, rural electrification, forestry in general and forest reserves other than those created from the public domain.
• Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (NE-1): Department Operations, Oversight, and Credit Jurisdiction: Agency oversight, review and analysis, special investigations, and agricultural credit.
• Rep. K. Michael Conaway, (TX-11): General Farm Commodities and Risk Management Jurisdiction: Program and markets related to cotton, cottonseed, wheat, feed grains, soybeans, oilseeds, rice, dry beans, peas, lentils, the Commodity Credit Corporation, risk management, including crop insurance, commodity exchanges, and specialty crops.
• Rep. Tom Rooney (FL-16): Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry Jurisdiction: Livestock, dairy, poultry, meat, seafood and seafood products, inspection, marketing, and promotion of such commodities, aquaculture, animal welfare, and grazing.
• Rep. Jean Schmidt (OH-2): Nutrition and Horticulture Jurisdiction: Food stamps, nutrition and consumer programs, fruits and vegetables, honey and bees, marketing and promotion orders, plant pesticides, quarantine, adulteration of seeds and insect pests, and organic agriculture.
• Rep. Timothy V. Johnson (IL-15): Rural Development, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture Jurisdiction: Rural Development, farm security and family farming matters, biotechnology, foreign agriculture assistance, and trade promotion programs, generally.
The list of Republican members of the Agriculture Committee follows (new members are listed alphabetically):
Frank D. Lucas (OK), Chairman-elect
Bob Goodlatte (VA), Vice Chairman-elect
Timothy V. Johnson (IL)
Steve King (IA)
Randy Neugebauer (TX)
K. Michael Conaway (TX)
Jeff Fortenberry (NE)
Jean Schmidt (OH)
Glenn Thompson (PA)
Tom Rooney (FL)
Rick Crawford (AR)
Scott DesJarlais (TN)
Renee Elmers (NC)
Stephen Fincher (TN)
Bob Gibbs (OH)
Chris Gibson (NY)
Vicky Hartzler (MO)
Tim Huelskamp (KS)
Randy Hultgren (IL)
Reid Ribble (WI)
Martha Roby (AL)
Bobby Schilling (IL)
Austin Scott (GA)
Steve Southerland (FL)
Marlin Stutzman (IN)
Scott Tipton (CO)